By Lillian Mutheu
It’s around 8pm in the evening people are going on with their usual businesses, suddenly loud screams engulf the area and a thick dark smoke is seen rising from the households, fear engulfs the people around they know very well what that means, their belongings or a neighbours or a friends could be burned to ashes or stolen by thieves in the name of rescuers. Residents run into that direction with hope of saving whatever they could and stopping the fire from spreading to other households. It’s alleged that the fire was caused by negligence of a burning candle.
5 people were injured in the said fire; women and children were taken to the Shofco safe house in Mukuru kwa Njenga where they could get food and shelter for that day. In this rainy season staying outside could cause so many complications to the children even the grown-ups hence the shelter for the vulnerable was received with warm eyes of gratitude. This would mean so much to the people who are affected as they plan to get back on their feet and continue with their lives as of now this shelter comes in handy for the women and kids.
More than 150 households were affected gravely by the fire and most of them recovered little or nothing from their homes, this meant a fresh start in these uncertain pandemic times, though with a life the zeal to move on is always stronger than the loss that has been experienced. The things that were saved from the fire were taken to Wape Wape Zone C for easier identification when the owners claim them. Community response to disasters like fire has always helped reduce the damage that could have been caused. The Red Cross volunteers from Mukuru kwa njenga were of great help. Their will power to help is highly commendable.
As usual the fire brigade came after the fire was long put out. We assume it’s due to lack of proper roads. As it is now, more sensitization needs to be done. The cases of negligence are far too many and people need to understand the need of being a neighbor’s keeper. If this happens it affects most of us. If we are extra cautious then this means that we can reduce the rates of these fires. So many families have been affected over the years with fire tragedies it’s about time that the residents have to create awareness and have numerous campaigns to help reduce the fire incidents.