Position Title: Civic Engagement Officer
PAWA254 is Kenya’s unique art and activism collaborative hub that innovatively deploys art, media, and community organizing to foster and catalyze creative and community-driven projects for social change, across the country and beyond. Among the creatives who collaborate in the dynamic space are photographers, thespians, dancers, filmmakers, journalists, musicians and poets.
The hub is also home to bold social justice community organizers and activists focusing on human rights, good governance, anti- corruption, gender equality and climate change. With a vision to facilitate a bold, innovative and thriving art and media landscape to create a better Kenya, our work is organized around two thematic areas;
Art and Culture: Entails developing the capacity of emerging artists and facilitating the integration of this artistic expression for livelihoods activation and development. Under this thematic area PAWA works in partnership with other stakeholders to nurture and develop the skills and latent talents of emerging artistes for economic gains/sustainability of the individual artistes and the creative sector.
Civic Engagement & Social Accountability: PAWA uses art as a form of civic engagement where artistes utilize their creative genius for social good. PAWA deploys dance, poetry, graffiti, theatre, music, film/photography and other art genres to spark civic participation through focusing attention on emerging social concerns in the country and in the process prompting action by the citizenry.
PAWA Initiative is seeking a Civic Engagement Officer to join a dynamic team working to increase the participation, power, voice and leadership of youth to advance social justice.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in policy development, and social change/justice movement building, is results oriented, enjoys working in a team, and has at least three years of project management on civic engagement and social accountability.
The Civic Engagement Officer will lead the Advocacy and Civic Engagement component; responsible for local community organizing and partnership development both at the county and national level. She/He will directly report to the Programs Manager and work as part of the PAWA team to execute and align our projects and campaigns with our organization wide strategy as informed by the PAWA Initiative strategic plan and other Project implementation strategies.
The ideal candidate will have proven project management and community organizing experience within communities and more important with young people and artists. The candidate should have experience in leading campaigns, messaging and communications skills and the ability to build innovative programs that develop and sustain new leaders and activists. The ideal candidate is someone who is flexible, able to manage multiple projects, able to deliver within tight deadlines, and fosters an affirming work environment based on teamwork, clear results and positive evaluation methods.
This position is initially a 1-year full time contract position based in Nairobi, with potential for contract renewal dependent on funding and performance.
- Working with the Management team to develop project and leadership development goals, strategies and work plans with built in systems and success indicators to document progress.
- Developing and implementing civic engagement and campaign plans, including developing work plans guided by PAWA Initiative strategy.
- Monitor, analyze and report back on the initiated campaigns/project objectives and activities.
- Monitor and evaluate project implementation progress
- Participate in project budgeting and budget monitoring.
Partnerships, collaborations and Coalition Building
- Identify potentially powerful social change collaboration campaigns/projects and brief the management team.
- Participate in formation of meaningful collaborations/coalitions with like-minded organizations.
- Represent PAWA Initiative in different coalition building forums and assist in driving PAWA Initiative’s vision within the identified circles.
- Providing guidance for current socio-economic justice and Governance campaigns and projects.
- Responsible for preparation of project budgets and narrative reports.
- Preparation and execution of project work plans.
- Responsible for project budgeting, procurement and accounting.
- Filing and archiving of project documents in both soft and hard copies.
- Organize and coordinate project meetings internally and externally with other stakeholders.
- Coordinating with the Programs Manager to move the strategic plan forward and anticipate and respond to internal and external opportunities and challenges
- Liaise with the communication team to have a communication, messaging and development of social change narrative through use of new media.
- Assist in resource mobilization specifically proposal writing and development.
- Mentor staff and interns seconded to the Programs Department especially in areas of civic engagement and advocacy.
- Any other responsibility assigned by supervisor in tandem with the position.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in sociology, development studies or commensurate experience.
- Successful track record of at least 3 years in Project management, leadership, community organizing.
- Self-motivated and the capacity to create and move forward a complex agenda
- Ability to identify, set priorities, and move teams of staff and volunteers in line with our goals and strategic direction.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) with ability to connect across multiple audiences.
- Strong research skills and proficiency in use of research analysis software like SPSS, STATA Excel etc.
- Excellent social media skills.
- Ability to work diplomatically and with sensitivity with individuals from a variety of cultures, professions and personal backgrounds.
- Proven skills in people and team work.
- Ability to work diplomatically and with sensitivity with individuals from a variety of cultures, professions and personal backgrounds
- Solid understanding of project cycle management.
- Demonstrated report writing skills and experience.
- Demonstrated experience in policy and advocacy work.
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Attention to effective written and verbal communication.
How to apply
If interested please send your cover letter and resume as one document (Max 4 Pages) to: email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Wednesday 27th January 2021 by C.O.B.
The future job holder will adhere to PAWA’s values. PAWA 254 encourages women and persons with disabilities who meet the qualifications to apply for this position.
Due to the large number of applications expected, we shall only respond to the shortlisted candidates.