CALL FOR CONSULTANCY SERVICES FOR DEVELOPING A POPULAR VERSION (GRAPHICAL HANDBOOK) OF THE KENYA YOUTH DEVELOPMENT POLICY 2019.
PAWA Initiative is a youth-led nonprofit established in Kenya in 2009. It is Kenya’s unique art and cultural collaborative hub that houses, fosters and catalyzes creative and community-driven projects for social change. PAWA is largely referred to as PAWA 254: the acronym “PAWA” is Swahili slang for “power,” while “254” is Kenya’s international telephone code.
Over the last five years, the youth-led organization has cut a niche as a bold ‘artivism’ organization that creatively integrates art and activism to promote active civic participation, livelihoods and employment development for Kenyan youth. PAWA leverages the power of arts to strengthen understanding and exploration of emerging issues in Kenya and increase youth involvement in positive development processes.
PAWA ‘s vision is to facilitate a bold, innovative and thriving art and media landscape to create social change in Kenya and exists to provide space and avenues where artists can learn and develop skills that could expose them to more opportunities for enhanced outputs, while promoting social change. Our work is organized around two thematic areas;
- Arts and media: entails developing the capacity of emerging artists and facilitating the integration of this artistic expression for livelihoods development. The provision of a state-of-the-art co- working space consisting of creative suites for artists and professional equipment such as cameras, lighting, and other production equipment, skills transfer, networking and partnership opportunities.
- Civic Engagement & Social Accountability: we use art as a form of civic engagement through dance, poetry, graffiti, theatre, music, film and photography to spark civic participation through focusing attention on emerging social concerns in the country and in the process prompt action. The arts are leveraged to spark civic participation through focusing attention on emerging social concerns in the country and in the process prompt communities to action. Further, through art and media PAWA brings forward unheard voices in public discourses and convenes groups of people with divergent views through provision of physical, psychological, experiential and intellectual spaces conducive to reflection and discussion.
Jenga Hustle is a project implemented by PAWA254 whose main objective is to enhance employment opportunities for young people in Kenya. This the project does mainly via two strategies one; the project advocates for the full implementation of laws policies and programmes that support youth employment by Government and other non-state actors. Secondly; the project works with youth collectives building their capacity to professionalize and monetize their work and ideas for income generation.
One of the key anchors of youth development in as far as issues of youth development in Kenya is concerned is the Kenya Youth Development Policy 2019, that in one document bears the aspirations, plans and future prosperity of the Kenyan youth. It is thus imperative that Kenyan youth get to read understand and where possible ask for the full implementation of the Kenya Youth Development Policy 2019 if the promise therein is to be realized for the common good of the young people of this country.
To spotlight and enhance awareness on the Kenya Youth Development Policy 2019, the project wishes to commission the development of an illustrated/graphical handbook or as is commonly known; the popular artsy version of the KYDP 2019. The illustrated/graphical handbook is meant to increase knowledge and awareness on the contents of the KYDP 2019 and with awareness the possibilities of nudging the target youth to understand the policy and ask/demand for its full implementation by the concerned duty bearers.
Objectives of the Consultancy
Develop a simple, easy to read and interpret graphical/illustrated handbook of the Kenya Youth Development Policy 2019.
Scope of Work and Key Deliverables
- Interpret the policy framework of the Kenya Youth Development Policy and convert the same into a user-friendly handbook containing illustrations, graphics, cartoons and factsheets as the case may be.
- Design sketches of the handbook/develop a storyline in line with the contents of the Kenya Youth Development Policy and share with the Programs Manager at PAWA for approval.
- Complete the sketches agreed/storyline approved by the Programs Manager and submit the final handbook within five days of the approval.
Skills and Experience
- Diploma/Certificate in Graphic Design and/or Illustrations as the case may be.
- Excellent grasp of the Human Rights situation in Kenya and the informal settlements of Nairobi to be specific.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Kenya Constitution.
- Ability to interpret complex information and break the same into simple graphical information/illustrations that ca be understood by a wide audience.
Duration of the Assignment
The consultancy is expected to take a maximum of 20 calendar days upon selection of the successful consultant. This includes presentation of the first draft and the final draft.
Expression of Interest Requirements
- A proposal to PAWA Initiative interpreting the terms of reference and elaborating the consultancy methodology and approaches that will facilitate successful completion of the assignment. This should include a budget/quotation for undertaking the assignment.
- A sample (soft copy or hard copies if available) of at least two similar works conducted complete with references
- Professional profile of the consultant(s) to undertake the proposed assignment
Supervisory and Quality Assurance
PAWA’s Programs Manager will supervise the Consultancy.
All deliberation relating to the consultancy, including all information collected from various meetings/documents shall be kept confidential and shall not be divulged to any third party either verbally, in writing or in any other form. The successful consultant shall be required to sign a confidentiality agreement with regards to this work
Logistics and Procedures
The consultancy will be inclusive of all expenses accrued in the process of the consultancy. If the consultant requires office space from where to work, the same can be arranged with PAWA to allocate space at the PAWA office. The consultancy and project location are Nairobi County.
Consultants who meet the requirements for this assignment should submit their Expression of Interest of NOT MORE THAN 7 PAGES including the CV’s as ONE PDF/Word document on or before the 21st of June 2021 to email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org . If you do not hear from us by the 24th of June, consider your EOI unsuccessful.